Skincare On A Budget #SkincareSecrets
This post was written in collaboration with Cosmetify
Keeping your skin clean, clear and healthy doesn’t have to mean breaking the bank! As you may know, we love all things budget at Bee Money Savvy, but you probably don’t know that we have a secret obsession with skincare so we jumped at the opportunity to collaborate with Cosmetify!
Cosmetify find the best prices online for your favourite beauty brands, saving beauty lovers an average of 34% on their make up, hair, skincare and self-care buys. You can also sign up for a price alert on their product pages to get the cheapest price (… I’m signing up for price alerts right now).
I’ve spent countless evenings looking up some of the best tips to keep my skin looking fresh (while staying within budget), and I’m looking forward to sharing all my #SkincareSecrets to help you achieve your own version of skincare perfection.
Keep your Skin Hydrated
Our skin is an organ made up of cells. And skin cells, like any other cell in the body, are made up of water. Without water, our organs can not function at their best. If your skin is not sufficiently hydrated, this will manifest by turning your skin dry, tight and flaky; dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling! To ensure that your skin is sufficiently hydrated you should:
- Apply a hydrating moisturiser (ideally within 2 minutes of leaving the bath or shower).
- Drink more water. Increasing your water intake is likely to give you a radiant glow and reduce your likelihood of developing acne.
- Eat water rich foods. Eating water-dense fruits and veggies such as berries, watermelon, plums, peaches, cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, and lettuce can super charge your hydration.
- Use skincare products with water-attracting ingredients like hyaluronic acid (it can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water!).
- Use a hydrating eye cream. The skin around your eyes is the thinnest skin on your face (and most likely to lose moisture).
Sun damage prevention
Use sunscreen 365 days a year. Sun damage that could lead to wrinkles, age spots, and in more extreme cases skin cancer! Opt for skincare and make up products that already have sun protection factor (SPF) for effortless sun damage prevention.
Cleanse your face twice a day
The skin on our face is exposed to a lot every day. Whenever we apply make-up, touch our face or walk down a polluted street, we’re putting a strain on it. Cleaning your face regularly will remove dirt and dead skill cells and will help prevent clogged pores and breakouts.
If your skin is sensitive to detergents, or if you have no history of acne or excessive oiliness, washing with water alone may actually keep your skin healthier. Save yourself some cash by ignoring commercial cleansers and giving a water-only cleanse a try! You can also save money if you will buy accutane online at canadian online drugstore.
Give yourself a Massage
You have 43 muscles in your face, and you’re always using them! By applying pressure and by sweeping your fingers across your face in the right directions, you’ll stimulate blood flow and provide your facial muscles with more oxygen for recovery. Additionally, by doing sweeping motions in the direction of your lymph drainage points, you can help drain your lymph system of excess fluid (making your face less puffy). The stimulation can also help with evening skin-tone and scarring, as it encourages your skin to create collagen.
I bought a jade roller to help with my facial massage routine but you can do it with your finger tips when cleansing or applying moisturiser. Follow the direction of the arrows in the picture below to achieve the best results!
DIY Skincare Treatments
Skincare doesn’t have to be about fancy branded products. There are tons of items that you will already have around your home that can be used to add a (low cost) spark to your skincare routine.
- Honey is also a powerful antioxidant and also has antibacterial properties, making it good for breakouts. Spread it on clean skin and let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water for a natural facial mask.
- Fight Dry Skin with Bananas or Avocados. Mash 1/2 ripe banana or avocado and spread on clean skin, let sit for 15 minutes, rinse well.
- Forgot to drink your green tea? Cool Green Tea is a refreshing and cleansing toner – perfect for acne prone skin.
- Sugar facial scrub. Make your own raw sugar body scrub — mix together 1/2 cup raw sugar with 1/4 cup light oil.
Do you have an amazing skincare tip that doesn’t break the bank? I’d love to know how you keep your skin glowing. Please do share your tips with me and Cosmeticy via social media with #SkincareSecrets!