20 Self-Care Activities That Don’t Cost a Penny
With blue Monday approaching I wanted to share some self-care ideas. Self-care refers to the deliberate activities we do in order to meet our physical, emotional, and mental health needs.
Self-care isn’t just important, it’s crucial! Self-care reduces the negative effects of stress and helps you to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself. Some self-care activities are more expensive than others but here are some of my favourite (mostly free) self care activities:
1. Declutter. If it doesn’t fit, triggers painful memories or isn’t something you use/wear anymore either sell, donate or recycle it.
2. Have an online detox. Unfollow toxic people; anyone who makes you feel anything less than inspired, empowered and happy to be who you are. Unsubscribe from newsletter you’re no longer interested in. Deactivate accounts that you don’t enjoy using.
3. Text your favourite colleague, call your bestfriend for a catch up, and visit your mum.
4. Drink a bottle of water. Eat more vegetables. Go for a walk. Stretch. Exercise. Go to sleep 15 minutes earlier than normal. Slowly adjust to new healthy norms.
5. Download podcasts. Laugh, learn something new, be inspired.
6. Delete the phone numbers and text threads of people who you haven’t spoken to in years, or really shouldn’t communicate with again. You don’t need them anymore.
7. Go to a library and pick out something that interests you. Stop trying to read to look smart or keep up with what’s happening. Read what captures your interest.
8. Plan something to look forward to. A fancy meal, a day trip, a gift, a holiday.
9. Update your cv. Start taking on side projects, enrol on a free online course, plan your next exciting career move!
10. Organise your space. Do your laundry, wipe down the surfaces, tidy your wardrobe.
11. Treat yourself. Light a candle, put on your favourite album and make yourself dinner. You deserve to be wined and dined.
12. Get your comfy’s on! Fetch your duvet, put on a facemask, mosturise, and find a film to watch while your wait for the kettle to boil for your cuppa.
13. Protect yourself. Book that doctors appointment that you’ve been avoiding, open a savings account and start saving an emergency fund. (Extra Tip: always use SPF and have safe sex).
14. Start a gratitude list. Write down everything and everyone you’re grateful for. Revisit often. Let people know when you appreciate them.
15. Look at old pictures that make you happy. Print them off & display them where you can always be reminded of good memories.
16. Cuddle a pet. Offer to baby sit/pet sit. Visit a local animal shelter or cat cafe. Look up #dogsofinstagram; dogs just want you to be happy!
17. Express yourself. Paint, write, draw, dance, sing, cook. Create a blog and use it as an outlet for your creativity.
18. Help someone. Volunteer for a charity that means something to you, protest for a cause that you’re passionate about, sign a petition you believe in. Build your sense of purpose and be the change you want to see.
19. Start documenting compliments you receive. Save them on your phone or create a ‘happy folder’ in your email inbox and read them when you need a boost.
20. Stop expecting life to always be good. Stop comparing yourself to others. Stop trying to make yourself happy all the time, accept that you are going to have bad days when tough things happen, grieve when loss occurs, and have mixed feelings when you’re unsure. This isn’t because you’re broken, it’s because you’re a real person with real feelings.
What’s your favourite self-care activity;? Do you have anything to add to my list? I’d love to see your suggestions in the comments below.