Get Paid to Take Part in Market Research
Taking part in market research interviews and focus groups is a great little side hustle! They’re often an easy and interesting way to earn a little extra cash. In some cases you may need to travel to the researchers office, but usually market research interviews are done via Skype, over the phone or sometime in your own home. Fee’s can vary but you can expect to earn around £50-£100 for talking to someone for an hour or so! Here are some research companies you should sign up to if you’d like to start getting paid to share your opinion.
Code 3 Research
Code 3 are a professional Market Research Recruitment Agency with a talent of getting to hard to reach samples. They are professional, honest and reliable and always supply high calibre respondents. Another bonus to Code 3 is that they keep you regularly and sufficiently updated on any issues that arise. Here are the common types of market research sessions you’ll be invited to as part of the Code 3 Research Panel:
- Focus Groups
- Usability Study
- In-depth Interview
- Ethnography (study of people in their own environment)
- Accompanied shopping session
- Online studies/panels
Registration is free and it will only take a few minutes to set up. As new projects come in, you will be sent an invitation email if they have a project that matches your general profile. You will then find out how long the session will take, the general location and how much you will be paid.
Focus4People has built up an outstanding reputation for conducting qualitative market research for businesses across a range of sectors in London and other major cities in the UK. They also post their research opportunities on Twitter so it’s worth following them if you don’t want to miss out on an opportunity to earn some £££’s.
You will be given an incentive to cover the cost of transport and your time. This is usually paid in cash and can vary from £30 to £150 depending on the type of research.
Bunnyfield is a department of Bunnyfoot UX consultancy. Specialising in finding and recruiting participants to take part in website research. This could be a travel agent who is trying to make their holiday booking form simpler, or the NHS trying to make it easier to find your local GP on their site for example. Their officer’s are based in London, Oxford and Sheffield! Here are some of the research sessions you could be invited to as part of bunnyfield’s research panel:
- Usability Research – 1:1 sessions involving a Consultant talking you through a website, app, remote control etc to see where the usability could be improved for you and other users.
- Focus Groups – There will be a small number of you so you’ll need to feel confident speaking aloud in front of others. A moderator will lead the session and will take down notes.
- Card Sorting – This session involves you sorting cards into groups that make sense to you.
- Online – Online research can be completed from the comfort of your own home via an online chatroom or Skype call.
Respondent.io is a website that helps companies find their ideal clients to give their opinions and test out their products before going to the market. As a respondent you have the opportunity to earn some money doing surveys, participating in focus groups and other studies.
Respondent.io claims that the average study pays about $140/£110 per hour. Payment is made via PayPal. Expect to be paid within a few days of completing a research study.
UserTribe participants share their opinions, earn an extra income while doing it and contribute to a world of real products satisfying real needs. They also reward you for referring friends and family. Here’s the steps you need to take to secure your first paid study:
- Sign up for the notifications. You’ll receive emails with the researchers specifications, fill in the survey if you qualify.
- Participate in a study. Studies can vary in requirements but you will usually need access to the internet and to fill in a pre-qualifying survey.
- Receive payment for your time. They use the email address you give to them to send you your gift card after completing a study. Gift cards are sent out in one go, so allow 10 business days.
Getting involved in market research is definitely worth a shot if you’re looking to make a bit of extra money! For more extra income opportunities see my favourite side hustles and work from home jobs.